Advanced targeting: sees through smoke, rain, snow and fog
Forward-Looking Infrared, or FLIR, gives operators the ability to perform targeting, reconnaissance and fire support under the cloak of darkness, enabling them to “own the night.” They can peer through dust storms, see enemies in hiding and capture high-resolution pictures without compromising their positions.
FLIR technology detects heat and creates images, allowing troops to “see” through darkness, smoke, rain, snow and fog. Electronic sensors made with this technology can be found on weapons or attached to armored vehicles and fighter jets.
Raytheon Missiles & Defense FLIR technology offers soldiers four fields of view: wide, medium, narrow and ultra-narrow.
Raytheon Missiles & Defense is the industry leader in FLIR technology, with decades of innovation in the field. FLIR was invented in 1963 by a Texas Instruments engineer, Kirby Taylor. Texas Instruments was later acquired by Raytheon Missiles & Defense.
The first two generations of FLIR technology have served forces for more than 50 years and now Raytheon Missiles & Defense is introducing 3rd generation FLIR technology to the battlefield.
Key benefits of 3rd GEN FLIR™ technology
- Determining intent – 3rd GEN FLIR promises to bring a new kind of situational awareness to users. In low-visibility conditions, operators will be able to tell if the person lurking is holding a deadly rocket-propelled grenade or just a shovel.
- Protecting troops – 3rd GEN FLIR provides high-definition resolution and magnification with increased precision from much greater distances.
- Creating overmatch – 3rd GEN FLIR will reduce down time and give forces a critical battlefield edge.
- Innovative, cost-effective approach – 3rd GEN FLIR enables an upgrade of existing thermal sights that is cost effective and delivers twice the performance.
- Reducing the weight troops carry – 3rd GEN FLIR sights weigh 50 percent less than today’s fielded models and deliver superior performance.
3rd GEN FLIR products include:
eLRAS3 - The eLRAS3 is the next-generation Long-Range Scout Surveillance System. It meets or exceeds all LRAS3 requirements with a 55 percent reduction in sensor weight and volume. The system is fully compatible with all existing LRAS3 platforms.